Fire on the 20th floor in Manhattan! The dramatic moment when the woman is rescued by firefighters
US & Canada

Fire on the 20th floor in Manhattan! The dramatic moment when the woman is rescued by firefighters

A woman was successfully rescued from a New York building by firefighters when her apartment caught fire.

Dramatic footage shows the moment when firefighters had to pull the woman out of the 20th floor of the building through the window. At least 38 people were injured in the fire that spread rapidly through part of the building and appeared to have been caused by a lithium battery. Two of the injured are in serious condition according to CNN.

Dan Flynn, the fire chief, said this was nearly the 200th fire this year caused by a lithium battery – commonly found in vehicles such as e-bikes or even scooters. Fires caused by batteries are usually intense and can grow to frightening proportions with any flammable objects around them, officials said.

A sign outside the apartment complex read: “No e-bikes allowed beyond this point.” A table that was apparently ignored.